1913 Owen Magnetic (Hybrid)
A contribution by Tom Williamson from Port Washington, NY - USA
In the 1890s, Justin Entz of Philadelphia designed a system for a gasoline
engine to drive a generator which would send electric power to drive the wheels,
thus combining the range and power of a gasoline engine with the smoothness and simplicity
of an electric motor. In 1912, Walter Baker of Baker Electric in Cleveland purchased the Entz
patent and with Raymond and Ralph Owen of New York began experimenting with the "hybrid" system.